So I have this project, and I had a means in mind to accomplish said project. Herewith some photos of the mounting process. Below: stretcher bars from the art store, notched together and ready for action, with a packet of cotton batting and a piece of fabric that I ended up not using for the backing because I didn't like it. (I used a piece from my hoard instead.)
Below, the backside of the piece once it was assembled. It was hand-stretched and stapled.
Below, a detail showing the staple (from a staple gun. I used bits of pleather to protect the silk).
And the front of the piece on this mount.
It had a decent amount of tension and would probably have been fine to work with. However, since this will be professionally mounted and framed at some point, I wanted to achieve the least possible amount of slack in the fabrics. My part of this artwork is surface design (embroidery and beadwork) and if the fabric is insufficiently tensioned, puckering can result. We don't like puckering, in this context.
So I took it apart and got a quilting hoop instead. MUCH better tension. (And now that it's been tested, it's disassembled again and rolled up for the day I actually work on it.)